Course Description: : Securing the supply of water, energy and food is one of the greatest global challenges of our time. This course focuses on sustainable development and global changes – vital issues for humanity – with specific attention to the challenges in African developing countries and their transition from unsustainable to sustainable development. The course is an introduction to sustainable development and its relation to the Water-Energy-Food Nexus. This connection between the three resources is being promoted as a conceptual tool for achieving sustainable development. As a result, understanding the interdependencies and interrelationships between the three resources is becoming increasingly important. Finding The approaches to manage the nexus could contribute significantly in achieving the Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The course gives a solid understanding of the connection between water, energy and food and enables to manage resources in a sustainable and effective Maner and achieving skills and knowledge which are the key for sustainable development.
Course Participates: Professionals in the fields of agronomy, environment, energy or any other integrated water resources management areas.
Course Learning Outcomes: Those Completing this Course will be able to:
- Understand the global challenges and their limited resources
- How human activities can affect the climate change
- The concept of sustainable development and global (SDGs)
- Water scarcity, virtual water and water footprint
- How to deal with energy challenges and opportunities
- The ‘nexus’ between water, energy and food (WEF) and their security.
- Desalination in the framework of the WEF nexus
- Dealing with the WEF nexus at local and regional levels.