Course Description: Aquatic weeds (emergent, floating and submerged) interfere with the static and flowing water systems. It causes tremendous losses of water bodies through evapotranspiration. In flowing water system, aquatic weeds impede the flow of water in irrigation and drainage systems and so increasing evaporation, damage of water courses, gates, siphons, valves bridge piers, pump stations etc. Obstruction water flow may result in flooding neighboring areas. The main objective of the training program is to improve the training skills of the water professionals from the African counties in fields managements and control aquatic weeds.
Course Participates: Participants should be experienced professionals within 2 years working experience in the field of civil engineers, water resources management, agriculture.
Course Learning Outcomes: Those Completing this Course will be able to:
- Identify the different types of aquatic weeds
- Evaluate the impact of aquatic weed infestation on the flow characteristics and the hydraulic efficiency together with the environmental impact
- Monitoring, surveying and classifying aquatic weeds using traditional and modern techniques such as GIS, remote sensing.
- Identify methods of aquatic weeds control and management such as mechanical, manual, biological, and integrated control system
- How to detect the most suitable time for implementing weeds removable program in the waterways from hydraulic criteria, of the irrigation and drainage sectors.
- How to get the most suitable techniques to convert the aquatic weed into biogas, organic fertilizers.