Date : 18-20 April 2023 (Offline)
Course Code: DSML 02
This course builds on the delegates existing knowledge of QGIS. It comprises a series of presentations, demos and computer practical sessions using FREE open source GIS software QGIS.
Delegates are introduced to advanced analysis techniques using both raster and vector data. The course includes a basic introduction to the PostgresSQL/PostGIS enterprise database . The course is designed for existing users of QGIS that want to expand their knowledge and carry out higher-level analysis.
This course is intended for those who have either completed our basic QGIS course or have equivalent knowledge and experience.
Aims and objectives:
- To develop delegates understanding of the fundamental concepts of GIS including its strengths and limitations.
- To expand on the concept of Open-Source software
- To introduce the more advanced functionality of QGIS software package.
- To teach the advanced skills needed to obtain, import, manipulate, analyze, interpret, manage and output spatial data in order to investigate topics in the delegate’s area of interest.
- To demonstrate real-world uses of GIS.
Learning outcomes – by the end of the course, delegates will have a knowledge and understanding of:
- Working with spatial databases including importing existing data sets.
- Manipulating coordinate systems in QGIS.
- Advanced field calculations.
- Working with topologies.
- Vector processing including tools such as union.
- Raster processing and how to use the raster calculator.
- Graphical Modeler.
- PostGIS databases.