- Developing a basic understanding of what GIS is, its operations, and its uses.
- Getting familiar with GIS project management.
- Learning to plan a GIS project.
- Understanding how real-world features are represented by GIS data.
- Knowing the differences between the raster and vector data models.
- Getting familiar with the basic elements of data quality and metadata.
- Learning the different types of GIS files used by QGIS.
- Using QGIS to view GIS data.
- Learning about map documents, layers, and data frames.